Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Writer's Notebook

                                                                
The reading for this week in my English class talked of a writer and her connection to her notebook. It was a crucial tool like the log books were for the truckers in Friday Night at Iowa 80, and just as important to their professions. As an English major I've taken several creative writing courses before, but I've never taken a notepad with me, though if inspiration strikes and I have my laptop available I will type a few ideas before I can lose them if I come across a thought that seems important. I've never done research on an environment before, and especially not on a culture of any sort. This essay made me realize how crucial it is going to be to have to carry some sort of way to accurately record what I feel, hear, see, smell etc while I am observing my area of study. Writing for creative and fictional purposes never posed this challenge for me because you only need to remember small pieces of information and then your imagination is to be trusted to do the other 90% of the work for you. This can't be the case when doing this project because this isn't a place for imagination, but accurate observation has to be the main goal. Notes are key.

No comments:

Post a Comment